We start with 4 steps:
STEP 1: Flat Cat Removal
STEP 2: Demo Day
STEP 3: Stock Up on Shiplap
STEP 4: Tune Up Your Tools
STEP 1: Flat Cat Removal This is the part they never show on HGTV. The down-and-dirty removal of all the junk you have accumulated over the years; picture any home from the show Hoarders. Yep, even you have a flat cat or two buried in under piles of persistent organic pollutants, heavy metals, and inflammatory cytokines. The good news is de-hoarding your body doesn’t require a hazmat suit. You just need to commit to a short junk fast, and give yourself to chance to clean up a little. Plans that we use successfully are:
- Whole 30 (www.whole30.com)- a 30-day, paleo style, low carb diet. This is a great choice if blood sugar or weight gain has been an issue.
- 21 Day Vegan Kickstart (www,pcrm.org)- a vegan diet, that gives you a break form the inflammatory effects of animal products. This is a great choice if high cholesterol or heart disease is in the picture.
- Clean Body Cleanse – our immune reset elimination diet and detox supplement plan. This is a great choice if you have chronic allergies, skin problems, or digestive challenges. This is the only plan that superpowers detoxification.
STEP 2: Demo Day Just like you can’t have an open floor plan without tearing down the wall between the kitchen and the living room, you can’t get to awesome if you have barriers in the way. You don’t need to tear down all the walls, but I bet that you know 1-2 activities that are holding you back.
Common barriers to your awesomeness are:
- Not enough hydration: the baseline is to drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water every day. [Example calculation: 130 lbs /2 = 65; drink 65 ounces of water a day]
- Not enough sleep: most people need 7 hours of good sleep a night to be at their best.
- Not enough motion: we are built to move when we are stressed. Even 30 min of movement a day balances your stress response.
- 24 hours stress: Even a 10 min visit to the parasympathetic Rest & Restore state can work wonders. Meditation, a stroll after dinner, a quiet cup of tea, or a 15 min creative interlude are all simple ways to take your Stress Response System on vacation.
- Gluten and Casein: these wheat and diary proteins are known to be hyper-inflammatory and damaging. Even if you do not have an obvious reaction to them, they can be holding you back from your awesomeness.
- Negative news: even reading about stressful or negative events can be enough to mire you in Stress & Store misery. Adding a news fast to your Flat Cat Removal will help you cleanup faster. At the very least don’t let news be the start or end of your day. Restrict your news updates (including social media) to between 10am and 7pm.
- Over-commitment: If you response to any of the above is that you don’t have time, then you are overcommitted. You have to out your own oxygen mask on first. Take a hard look at what fill your days and decide what you NEED TO DO vs. what NEEDS TO BE DONE vs. vs. what you think you SHOULD do vs. what you WANT TO DO. Eliminate 30 min a day of SHOULDs, delegate half of the NEEDS TO BE DONEs and lavish in your WANT TOs.
STEP 3: Stock up on Shiplap Have you gotten half way into a home improvement project and realized that you were missing a critical item? So you have to shut it down until you can run to Home Depot? But you can’t go now because there is no one to stay with the kids, and you have to get to soccer practice after lunch, and tomorrow you have promised to make cupcakes for a co-workers birthday? Now your 2-hour project is a 2-week headache.
Your Stress Response Systems also relies on building materials. Keeping these vitamin and minerals at hand means your hormonal projects can be quickly completed. You don't want to let lack of shiplap get it the way of your dreams.
The Shiplap of Stress response:
- B-Vitamins: The thyroid uses B12 for hormone activation. The adrenals use B5 and B6 for hormone conversion. Riboflavin and Niacin power the mitochondria in all the glands to power hormone production.
- Vitamin C: The adrenals and the ovaries are top consumers of Vitamin C. Vitamin C also is critical for the pre-construction clean up.
- Selenium, Zinc, and Copper: These minerals are critical for thyroid and pancreatic hormone production and activation.
- Magnesium, Calcium, and Trace Minerals: These minerals are used by the adrenal glands to keep up optimal hormone levels.
- Iron: Low iron stores dramatically lower thyroid hormone activation.
- Chromium: this mineral enhances the effects of insulin and is important for healthy blood sugar balance.
STEP 4: Tune up Your Tools The 3 tools of the Stress Response are your Adrenals, Thyroid, and blood-sugar control functions of the Pancreas. When these are out of tune your Stress Response rattles and shakes instead of operating with a smooth hum.
- Overactive Adrenals ramp up blood sugar.
- High cortisol blocks thyroid hormone production.
- Low cortisol blocks thyroid hormone activation.
- High cortisol and low thyroid hormone cause increased blood sugar.
- High blood sugar triggers Insulin release form the pancreas.
- Consistent high insulin increases fat stores and blocks the release of fat for energy.
- High insulin keeps blood sugar unstable, which increases adrenal and thyroid stress further.
To understand how to turn-down this drama, you first need to understand the players. That discussion merits it's own post. Tune in next time for The Real Housewives of Stresslanta.
Spoiler alert- the Adrenal Glands are where all the drama starts. You can see how high your adrenals are keeping the ratings with our DIY Adrenal Fatigue Panel.